Plastic Patterns

Put away the tissue paper, butcher paper, card stock, or whatever else you've been using for patterns, because plastic is all you will be needing!  This is one of the best tips I picked up ages ago from where, I cannot remember, but I wish I could because whoever came up with this idea deserves full credit for it and some gift cards or something!  I see others online who have adopted it because it's really the best way to go about making patterns.  Spread the word!
This clear plastic sheeting can be found in any home improvement type store, such as Lowes or Home Depot.  It's usually near the painting stuff, because it's what you lay out on the floors or put on the walls when you don't want them getting messy.  I prefer the 4 mil thickness, as it's thick enough to not tear, but also thin enough to see through.  It comes in other thicknesses, along with a black colored version, so your preferences may differ.  A roll is cheap, the pictured only costing me a few bucks, and will last you a very long time.  I've used a fraction of the roll and I've made multiple patterns for jackets, trousers, and shirts.  The roll looks small, but it unrolls and unfolds to a huge piece of sheeting, so no worries if using it to make patterns for long coats or dresses or super hero tights.
I prefer this stuff to other pattern making material for a few reasons.  Number one is it's more sturdy and rigid than pattern paper or other thin material like butcher paper, yet 'flows' with the fabric better than thicker material like card stock.  Also, unlike the paper material that tears easily, it holds up to rougher treatment and multiple pinnings, and it doesn't tear easily.  After pinning it once, you'll find the holes are pretty obvious on the pattern piece, making it easier to aim for those the next time its used. 
Dig this, I cut out the small Y-cut on the end of a shirt sleeve, where the plackets will be placed.  The material is sturdy enough that the cut actually stays put, not folding all over itself or opening wider after being handled frequently, while at the same time will flow with the fabric when I pin it.  This way, I can cut right into the pattern with the fabric, not having to measure out the cut instead and cutting it after removing the pattern.
Another reason I like the plastic sheeting is because I can put little marks and little notes on it to remind me of things.  Such as where I will be folding the fabric, as shown on this, the front piece of a shirt.  The little note is there because different things are done to the other front piece.  It may be helpful to some to draw out the seam allowances, too, especially for beginner sewers.  It's great to be able to place it over the fabric to check that things are being done in the correct spot! 
 
One of the best things this sheeting can be used for is to trace over store bought patterns.  When you cut out a pattern you buy, that's the end of it, you have that one size and you can't use the others.  But by tracing it and cutting it out with with plastic, you still have access to all the size varieties, in case the size you thought would fit turns out not to (been there, done that!) or you want to make the pattern for someone else who is a different size.
The plastic can have some creases in it because of the way its folded, but they aren't a problem at all.  When pinning, pin one side, then flatten the pattern with you hand, sliding it across it to the other side, and pin that edge.  This way it will be the full size of the piece, not off my a little bit from a crease.  You can take the creases out, though, too, but it's kind of tricky.  Heat up your iron for a bit, than turn it off.  When it's cool enough to touch with you hand, use it to iron out the creases in the plastic until flat.  Be careful when attempting!
-Cat

1 comment:

  1. I like your plastic for patterns; I've used old sheets myself, they're not as easy to write on though.

    ReplyDelete